Wednesday, May 5, 2010

On-line Schooling

I have chosen to blog about going to an online university and some other frustrations I am dealing with now. But first how I feel about attending an Online University. When I found out about my job being sent over-seas, I decided I needed finally figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. My grandmother-in-law does medical billing/coding from home and decided that it was a good career choice since hospitals or doctor's offices aren't going over-seas anytime soon. She tried to help get started attending here in San Antonio to a college where she had connections with the health care director. I was very grateful but found it difficult to schedule going to take all the tests, talking to the admissions, and finding daycare for my kids before going to work. That's when I decided to check to see what universities online were accredited. Kaplan was exactly what I needed. I am able to complete assignments when I have the time (of course before deadline), I don't need to find a babysitter to attend classes (just have to keep them occupied for an hour), and there is no leaving the house (no worries about leaving the stove or coffee pot on). I have attended here for almost a year and am half-way to my goal. I have switched from Medical Office Management to Medical Transcription but the many of the courses remained the same. I did realize after switching that I can take medical billing/coding and medical office management as an elective, whereas in the MOM degree plan, I wouldn't have been able to learn MT skills. So this is awesome to me, I can now be educated to work various parts in a medical office and know what I am doing. I still hope that I would be able to make enough money to pay bills and save for a bigger house while working at home, but if I need to work outside the home, I will be prepared for anything. I find that not knowing students face to face makes it easier to communicate and not be afraid to leave comments that state whether or not they are doing great or if they should make improvements on certain things. The professors are easier to contact and respond quicker than I feel a professor at a University would. No making appointments or hoping that your e-mail will not get lost among hundreds of other students e-mails. But the best part for me is that I am home when my children need me and don't miss anything if I have to speed one of my boys to the med clinic or any sort of family functions. If there is seminar, I just take my husband's netbook and listen while enjoying either of my wonderful adventures. I don't really know how we can seem closer, except using Skype to talk to one another. We already communicate on discussion boards and seminars, and some im each other for extra help.
Now the frustrating part: I received information from Kaplan last Saturday, so I called to find out what the deal is. I then asked if they received information about my FAFSA. I was told that I did not get approved for any federal funding for the 2010-2011 school year. We made too much. I really hate the fact that we can't get approved for the things we need. I am still unemployed and my husband is working two jobs so I can focus on my studies and get awesome grades. We barely make it each month, and we still made too much. So now I am beginning to wonder if my school career will end before I can finish my degree. I would hate to have to get more loans or work just to pay for classes (that would take away my focus from assignments but I know a lot of students do this and get by) but we have to do what we have to do.
So anyways, I rambled on again. But isn't that what a blog is for? I hope I answered this weeks questions. Until next time...

5 comments:

  1. I am also doing medical transcribing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline I understand your frustration. Just today (5/5) I received an email saying I was $660 underfunded and need to pay that amount by May 15th. Yeah like that is going to happen $1100 per month and $565 rent plus cable for computer and my telephone. At times like this I have to do the foot work and my higher power usually works everything out. Maybe for me it is what will be will be. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline,
    quite a few months ago,I almost had to quit school because my computer crashed and my laptop had an expired version of Microsoft Office. I was under the impression that financial aid sent a check every few months to accommodate problems such as these.I have a few friends who are also doing online classes but they are getting nice checks every term.I called my financial adviser and after several telephone transfers,someone adjusted my loan to where I did get a check.I only got one but it helped.Maybe you can do the same. Had I not made that phone call,I would not have been able to buy the needed program and a new hard drive.I am also unemployed and I was hoping that I would have entitlement to a small check on a regular basis to cover the internet bill.Maybe I should call about that,the loan is going against me,I have to pay it back so I don't know why I would get rejected.The unfortunate thing about my loan adjustment is right after I got the check,I was notified that my information/identification may have been stolen.There has been suspicious activity with my account and it wasn't me. Good luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Caroline,

    I have three daughters paying off student loans, so I have great empathy. They can barely squeeze out a living when they are paying back huge debts. Something is wrong with this system!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Caroline-

    Another really good thing about anything in the medical field is that there will always be a job! With the economy going down like it is, there are fewer and fewer jobs available. Medical, law enforcement, and military are always jobs that will be there. I'm sorry that you and your husband are apart- I feel your pain though. My fiance is stationed in El Paso, Tx, so our relationship is kept alive over the phone. I just taught him out to skype! Stay strong though, and hold your kids close. The lag in communication with our school is indeed frustrating, but for me everything has been pretty timely. I had started doing online school when I was taking care of my brothers while my mother was overseas. I wanted to spend as much time with them instead of being gone. And now, I can't see myself doing anything else. I'm sorry to hear about your financial troubles, but if an education is what you want, I'm sure you'll figure something out. There are many places to apply for loans and grants- just keep asking around. Make sure you inform your Admissions adviser also-they should be able to help you. Don't give up on your education though if it's something you really want.

    ReplyDelete